Olivia Wilde is on quite a roll lately. A successful director as well as a finely aged actress who's improved with time, she commands audience's attention from both sides of the camera. But in Gregg Araki's new 'comedy,' I Want Your Sex, her vixen, a successful artist who finds joys in turning her new employee, Elliot (Cooper Hoffman) into a sexual muse, is all over the place. She's not so much a character as she is a caricature of one.
But none of that would even matter if the movie was actually funny. Given its fusion of genres (romantic drama? coming of age? a mystery thriller in its final act?), it never quite settles on either. Also, Elliot's girlfriend, a monotone woman laughably named Minerva (played by the British pop star Charli XCX), is mystery in and of herself. Why in the world is she even in a relationship with a boy/man she literally abhors?
Like many movies nowadays, I Want Your Sex doesn't quite deserve its 92% Rotten Tomatoes rating. But I suppose that, in my particular case, the ploy worked, or otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered. Now, if only I can figure out why this movie is classified as 'comedy'...
☆☆

No comments:
Post a Comment