Pages

Monday, September 21, 2026

Luminous "Amziah" defies genre and transcends classification

 


The Rivals of Amziah King is not a typical movie - and I mean that in a good way. Starting off with a bang, where a minor character (Tony Revolori) nearly gets his scalp ripped off by a honey extractor (haven't watched the scene a few times, I'm still not sure what exactly happened, but I digress), the titular main character (Matthew McConaughey) meets a premature demise, and a young native American woman (Angelina LookingGlass) turns into a small-time detective, and commits unimaginable crimes.

Part Terrence Malick, part David Gordon Green, Amziah King is a majestic, nearly meditative experience, whose plot is only secondary to the quiet moments, where the characters' inner turmoil is explored in reticent, gorgeous cinematography. Bees and honey are central to its story, and especially to its allegorical meaning. It also plays like two or three movies in one; the final act is in no way in spirit with the first, and especially not the heroine's plight. Although I can not proclaim it a masterpiece, it is nevertheless a rare, unique experience that any film aficionado should seek out.

☆☆☆

No comments: