Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2026

"Maddie" aims for profoundity, but manages only ridicule

 


The writer/director of Maddie's Secret, John Early, does not look like a woman. Not really. Yet he plays one in his new movie, to an effect more comical than he actually intended. His Maddie Ralph is married, and after her husband catches her throwing up, she panics and says, "I'm pregnant." It's a poor excuse to cover up her ongoing bulimia, but what's a girl to do?

At first, I thought Maddie was a trans woman. But after her husband believed her lie, I was left dumbfounded. So Maddie's character is ... a woman? Has always been one? Yet ... she's played by a male actor? The ensuing confusion was so overwhelming that soon I was laughing - not with the characters and their story, but AT them. This is hardly a project that anyone should take seriously - it's a melodrama masquerading as a parody, pretending to be noble and profound. 

I really don't know what else to say to this hammy, amateurish effort - where all the actors look as if they were cast on the day of production - except to scratch my head. The critics were enamored with it, which only adds to the mystery. Maddie's Secret is so baffling you have to see it to believe it; but then again, why would you?
☆ 

No comments: