Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2026

"Gail" and her sex pass are a little too offbeat for their own good

 


Zoey Deutsch's charm can sway many a man off their chosen paths. She has carried movies like Buffaloed and Set It Up practically all by herself. But in Gail Daughtry and the Celebrity Sex Pass, she finally runs into a script that is too offbeat, too quirky, and - at times - too raunchy for her sweet face and good natured personality.

When Gail (Deutsch) catches her fiance, Tom (Michael Cassidy) cheating on her, he claims innocence by evoking their "celebrity sex pass" agreement. Furious, she storms off to Los Angeles with her hairstylist friend, Otto (Miles Gutierrez-Riley), in order to have sex with a celebrity of her choice: Jon Hamm, who happily plays himself.

Gail Daughtry is a sometimes funny, sometimes bohemian, and often tonally inconsistent movie. Whereas I expected a conclusion involving heart and self-discovery, what I got was an awkward love making scene, one involving the titular heroine and her Hollywood crush. It came across as odd and disingenuous, rendering any meaningful arc as non-existent. I'll remember some of the funny parts here for a while, but I'm sure I won't be watching them again.

☆☆1/2

No comments: