Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Flat and uninspired "Rose" drags on like the dullest of unimaginative dreams

 


It is never my intention to bash movies, but after watching Mark Jenkin's Rose of Nevada, a so-called 'science fiction' drama, I have not a single good thing to say. A story about two fishermen (George MacKay and Callum Turner) who board a recently found fishing vessel that's been missing for three decades, it drags along like a redundant dream, pretentiously maquarading like an artistic, profound tale. Shot on an outdated 16 mm stock and in a 1.33 aspect ratio, it feels like a student film that's at least ninety minutes too long.

I wish someone had told Jenkin that to pull an audience in - and especially to keep them hooked - one should open a movie with a more compelling sequence than a series of shots of rusty decay whose eight minutes length felt like forty. The fact that this movie sports a 92% Rotten Tomatoes rating is a travesty. Once again, I'm not hating for the sake of it, I'm merely trying to protect others from wasting two hours of their life, the way I had. Consider this review a dire warning.

ZERO STARS

No comments: