Grace Glowicki, the director - and star - of the absurdist feature, Dead Lover, has an appeal that transcends taste. Playing an unlikable grave digger, she's smitten with a man, only to be devastated after he later drowns at sea. Determined to resurrect him through various scientific means involving electricity, she only creates additional problems for herself and her small universe.
I'm not gonna lie: Dead Lover isn't for everyone. An even more accurate way to describe it is to say it's for a very select few. It's rather cheap looking, not very imaginative, with performances that feel too amateurish to leave an impression. Its vision is also limited by a low budget whose sets look like student film projects shot on the college stages. All of this, of course, would be easily forgiven if the movie was actually funny; but alas, it isn't. Not nearly as much as it needed to be.
Grace Glowicki may have a good movie in her - as a director and an actress - but she's not proved it here. I wanted to like Dead Lover, I really did. But I just couldn't pretend that something this mediocre ever needed to occupy nearly ninety minutes of my life. Regrets, regrets.
☆1/2

No comments:
Post a Comment